Sunday, November 30, 2008

Houston Opportunities: Update

Well, I found the place that's my cover story, a sports bar where women go to pick up men (can you believe it?!). The odds still weren't that great though. Not counting the obvious couples, the ratio was maybe 3:1, men to women. Can't complain though, because those numbers beat my hometown odds by a factor of ten. Now if only I had the ability to be that jackass who hits on every woman in the bar.

Tonight I had the perfect opportunity to come out to my friends that I'm staying with here (though as I've said before, I think it would be wise to have a gay experience first before making such an extraordinary declaration about my lifestyle) when they mentioned their bisexual friend again. I almost said, "I want to meet him." Which would have been just as well to get them off my back, because they were grilling me about meeting a woman.

I do appreciate my friends' concern that I am alone, and I appreciate them wanting to help me figure out what is holding me back from having more confidence with women. But also I wish they would just leave me the fuck alone about it. It always seems like it's the couple, the man and woman, that can't imagine life as single. It's as if to them life isn't worth living if you don't have a spouse. It's really bullshit and I get sick of it. Do people really think they can't be happy until they find "the one?" Or do they just tell themselves that so they won't just up and admit to themselves that they are truly miserable? It's almost like they want to spread the misery, that no man should be allowed to live his own life... that a life led unmarried is one wasted.

In so many ways, I want to just get it over with and have an experience so I can tell these guys what's really going on. I do feel that their concern for me is genuine, but it would just put the whole "meeting a woman" question to rest. I'd just say that I'm not sure a woman is what I want, and that would relinquish me from having to explain my failures with women, save me from having to drudge over all the bullshit sex roles that the heterosexual world places on people. That men have to be the aggressors. That women have to sit and wait to be approached. That men who are in touch with their feelings are probably gay. I'm just so sick of all the stereotypes and the lines drawn. In so many ways I just want to be free of this struggle, and say "fuck you, I like guys too. SO WHAT."

Also, it might get my friend to cool it with the gay jokes, if he knew he was hurting my feelings.

4 comments:

Brad said...

there is so much pain in this post, I really feel for you buddy - I wish there was something I could say to make it better for you

maybe it's time to pack it in & head home, maybe Texas is not for you - I don't think you should strain your friendship over this

hang in there guy

Anonymous said...

Hey
don't lose sight of the fact that you are in complete control here. It is important because you owe no explanations to these friends nor to anyone else. So hang back and do your thing. It will be very obvious to you when the time is right. I also just wanted to let you know that its ok to not be sure about exactly what you are or what you are feeling. Sometimes society's labels don't always fit.
peace, mm

Benny Hamilton said...

I've felt mostly alone through this whole process. Your guys' support really means a lot.

Anonymous said...

you have friends you don't even know you have. just keep things loose and let them come to you. you really don't need to force yourself into any of these situations. you call the shots!